Service and Outreach
At New Song, serving humanity is not just part of our mission statement, but part of our MISSION.
We are constantly seeking new and better ways to help each other and others in need throughout our community, city and beyond. But it doesn’t stop there. We are committed to being good stewards of the earth.
New Song is a church that believes in the goodness of all God has created, and therefore looks for avenues that will benefit both humanity and ecology.
Live Love Sunday
Part of living out our mission to Seek God, Create Community, and Serve Humanity is through Live Love Sunday. Live Love is the New Song way of viewing service as an act of worship. Periodically throughout the church year, New Song friends and family put their commitment to God's justice and peace into action through several service projects and community outreach activities. Such projects include:
1) sewing for the charity "Little Dresses for Africa," creating dresses for young girls living in poverty on the continent of Africa,
2) picking up refuse from our adopted stretch of highway 152 at the I-435 corridor
3) working for the new homeless family program, Family Promise of the Northland
4) assembling Blessing Bags to hand out to our fellow human beings in need, including hygiene items, tissues, snacks, socks and gloves
5) baking and delivering goodies to those living in retirement communities
6) giving away grocery gift cards to shoppers in the Northeast part of Kansas City as an act of Radical Generosity.
Family Promise of the Northland
One of the newest ways we are seeking to serve in our community is by our participation in Family Promise of the Northland. The Family Promise organization based in Summit, NJ has over 180 afffiliates around the country with the sole purpose of addressing homelessnees among families. Family homelessness is reaching epidemic proportions around the nation, and the Kansas City Northland is no exception. New Song has taken part in much of the building renovation and fundraising efforts to speed along the process. Once open, New Song will be one of 13 host congregations that will provide meals and overnight accommodations for 3 - 4 families going through the program at any one time. We are excited about this new opportunity and invite you get involved. For more information, please contact us.
Another way we are serving humanity is through our work with the Micah Ministry. This important ministry serves homeless and near homeless persons in the historic Northeast neighborhood of Kansas City each week. New Song helps to feed and clothe 500-700 of our less fortunate neighbors on the fourth Monday of each month. We also cook the meal for this important ministry periodically throughout the year. If you are interested in this significant ministry, please contact us for more information.
More Service Opportunities
New Song is actively involved in a variety of local, national, and international projects:
- Adopting local families for Christmas (food, clothing, shoes) throughout the year
- Participating in CROP walk (Christians Responding to Overcome Poverty)
- Disciples Peace Fellowship local and international events
- Contribution to our denomination’s special offerings:
- Week of Compassion
- Hope Flowers School, an amazing multi-cultural, multi-ethnic, multi-faith school in the Palestinian West Bank dedicated to educating students in the ways of peace and democracy, as well as providing trauma counseling and job skills training for local families.
- Promoting Fair Trade products.
- Continuing an ongoing partnership with ministries in Haiti, allowing us a good site for “hands-on” international outreach.